Engelswisch, Lübeck

Engelswisch, Lübeck

Saturday, June 25, 2011

A to Z

Bread, that is!

There were two over-the-hill bananas in the fruit bowl this morning, and that just gave me a hankering for banana bread! My go-to recipe is called "A to Z Bread", which was given to me years ago by my friend Jackie in the Netherlands. I tweaked it a little bit here and there, mostly by reducing the amount of oil and sugar. Things have a tendency to taste too sweet to my palate these days, plus the overripe bananas add plenty of sweetness already!

I just googled A to Z bread, and found it here, if you're interested. I halved the recipe, and made the following changes:
1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 large egg plus 3 TB egg whites
1/4 canola oil plus 1/4 cup applesauce
reduce sugar to 3/4 cup
I only baked it for about 45 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center came out clean.
The result: super moist banana nut bread! 
Just the thing with a nice cup of hot tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment